About Me

My photo
I am Rebecca, wife of Tom since '92. Mom to: Jake(28)United States Navy married to Lisa since Oct '17 Christian(20) Night maintenance at retirement village Sophie Joy(17)Grade 12 I have been sewing for many years and knitting for just the last couple years.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

Well, here it is.  The new year has begun.  It started out very relaxing, we watched the first 3 discs of "Liberty's Kids."  FUN!!!  Sophie didn't think she was going to like them, because they're educational... LOL!  But, part-way through the first segment she was glued.  So sad we have to wait to mail them back to Netflix and wait for the last 3 to come.

Hopefully school will restart without a hitch.  I'm hoping we have a little more energy.

One less outing for the new year, Sophie is no longer in Junior Girl Scouts.  I had a little chat with her this week, asking how important it was to her.  I'd been noticing her not being interactive with the other girls.  I tried to encourage her, but she still didn't interact much.  She wasn't sad at all about deciding to quit.  I'm relieved because I was one of the leaders (#3 of 3, so not high up, more of a full-time helper really...)  The meetings up to this year were in the evening, but this year changed to 3pm.  It was hard enough to get there at 3pm (in a different town since we'd quit our town's troop a few years back) let alone being called last minute to come early the last few meetings.  Ending school at 1:30pm is a pain when you've not prepared for it!  Again with people assuming you have all the time in the world when you don't leave your house to go to work.

I suppose I should make some goals for the new year.  I'll have to work on that...

Tom's work has pretty much put a stop to overtime.  It's taken some getting used to.  We paid off my van at the beginning of last year and hope to pay off Tom's truck this year.  Tom has decided he wants to dump our tax return on it, then the goal of paying it off might actually be attainable by year's end.  We'll see...  I'd also like to totally redo the school room over the summer.  I'd like to rip out the carpet (it's on a concrete slab and the room is basically a breezeway between the garage and main house,) rip out the paneling, insulate (cuz the garage wall isn't!!) redrywall and install new hard flooring and put in a natural gas heater.  That room only has one vent and without proper insulation needs a space heater.  I worry about an electric fireplace being on 24/7 but if I don't it gets sooooooo cold!  I think the on/off/on/off of the heater last year caused the CPU down there to get condensation.  We thought it was dead, but once it dried out late spring it started working again! YAY!!!  So, we keep the heater on all the time.  (plus, Christian works down there and he prefers it warm... LOL)

I made a menu for January today, so hopefully this year will start off well :)

No comments: